O Brave New World
Probably a word you never heard before in your life, but no doubt you understand what it means.
Ecocide is the extensive destruction, damage to or loss of ecosystem(s) of a given territory, whether by human agency or by other causes, to such an extent that peaceful enjoyment by the inhabitants of that territory has been severely diminished.
According to the Guardian;
A campaign to declare the mass destruction of ecosystems an international crime against peace – alongside genocide and crimes against humanity – is being launched in the UK.
The proposal for the United Nations to accept “ecocide” as a fifth “crime against peace”, which could be tried at the International Criminal Court (ICC), is the brainchild of British lawyer-turned-campaigner Polly Higgins
The idea is simple enough. Prosecute any crime against the Earth. The question arises what constitutes a crime? Obviously they want to prosecute oil, mining and extraction companies. What about a cow farting that is contributing to Global Warming? Would the farmer be liable for crimes against the Earth or will they just put down the cow? I could see PETA getting their panties in a real tussle over that.
Of course they also want to prosecute “climate deniers.”
Supporters of a new ecocide law also believe it could be used to prosecute “climate deniers” who distort science and facts to discourage voters and politicians from taking action to tackle global warming and climate change.
Of course they are under the assumption that they are right and everyone else that doesn’t believe them are wrong. Those crazy climate skeptics are making it too difficult to pass all these laws, why not just throw them in jail!. What a great idea! /sarc
Whether or not you believe in AGW is beyond the point, this ecocide law is about silencing dissent. It’s about criminalizing free speech. Everyone should oppose these kinds of legislation.
Some highlights from the website:
- ecocide will stop damaging and destructive activity. Where voluntary corporate governance, market trading and offset mechanisms have have failed, ecocide will create specific legally binding responsibilities.
What about the failure of Government mandated governance as in the EU and California. Google “California Cap and Trade Failure” and “EU Cap and Trade Failure” to get a sampling of how those measures have actually increased carbon output. Is the ICC going to prosecute other Governments? Of course not, only small private citizens that don’t enjoy blanket immunity. This law is about keeping people in line, nothing more.
- ecocide is not a crime of intent. The intention is rarely to render damage on a given territory, more often it is an outcome of another primary (economic or war) activity.
Go ask any lawyer how much easier it would be to prosecute anyone for anything if they didn’t have to prove intent.
- ecocide is a crime of consequence e.g where an energy company procures its energy by extracting fossil fuel, as opposed to creation from renewable energy, that would result in ecocide.
So any company or person that chooses to go with the more affordable fossil fuel, natural gas route is guilty of ecocide. You and I are guilty right now, since the electricity running out computers, most likely is coming from non-renewable sources. Go flog yourself if you feel bad…leave me out of it.
File this under enviro-nutters and craziness.
Oh and Polly Higgins, the brainchild behind this piece of crap, is on the board for Desertec. They want to build huge solar panel arrays the Sahara, for transmission to the EU. No doubt making your competition illegal will do wonders for your profits. (Read Bootlegger/Baptists)
- RT @JonHaidt: How the liberal left can cast off the alienating election-losing narcissism of the illiberal left. Mark Lilla: https://t.co/… 5 months ago
- RT @saletan: Everyone please keep a straight face as the backtracking goes on. Best scenario is that the liar we elected has lied about his… 5 months ago
- RT @DrToleration: 538 says 1 poll has Johnson w/a 2-3% chance of winning New Mexico, leading to an Electoral College deadlock & election se… 6 months ago
- RT @CatoOnCampus: "Wow! These candidates are great! I'm glad there's no alternative onstage tonight!" said no one. #Cato2016 6 months ago
- RT @CatoInstitute: Not only are immigrants less likely to commit crimes than native-born Americans, but they help cut crime. https://t.co/1… 6 months ago
|Seth on Black Swans and Ron Paul|
|Ferd Berfle on The Wedge|
|Ferd Berfle on Obama’s got Style|
|Obama’s got St… on Obama’s got Style|
|Obama’s got St… on The Wedge|
- 9,714 hits