Obamacare worth the price to Democrats
Why is he doing this? Why let “health” “care” “reform” stagger on like the rotting husk in a low-grade creature feature who refuses to stay dead no matter how many stakes you pound through his chest?
Because it’s worth it. Big time. I’ve been saying in this space for two years that the governmentalization of health care is the fastest way to a permanent left-of-center political culture. It redefines the relationship between the citizen and the state in fundamental ways that make limited government all but impossible. In most of the rest of the Western world, there are still nominally “conservative” parties, and they even win elections occasionally, but not to any great effect (Let’s not forget that Jacques Chirac was, in French terms, a “conservative”).
The result is a kind of two-party one-party state: Right-of-center parties will once in a while be in office, but never in power, merely presiding over vast left-wing bureaucracies that cruise on regardless.
I’ve been thinking as much lately as well. I have to admit I was more thinking of the short term consequences for Obama. If Obamacare passes, he gets re-elected, because in two years all the Democrats that are against Obamacare will realize how it puts Health Insurance Companies in a Death Spiral. The Democrats will again confuse Government Failure with Market Failure. They will say that, even with the “generous” and “benevolent” actions taken by Government, the Health Insurance Market can’t cope with the problem, the only solution is More Government, and there you have it…Single Payer.
The Short Run, I was thinking about, leads to the Long Run, Steyn talks about.
- RT @JonHaidt: How the liberal left can cast off the alienating election-losing narcissism of the illiberal left. Mark Lilla: https://t.co/… 5 months ago
- RT @saletan: Everyone please keep a straight face as the backtracking goes on. Best scenario is that the liar we elected has lied about his… 5 months ago
- RT @DrToleration: 538 says 1 poll has Johnson w/a 2-3% chance of winning New Mexico, leading to an Electoral College deadlock & election se… 6 months ago
- RT @CatoOnCampus: "Wow! These candidates are great! I'm glad there's no alternative onstage tonight!" said no one. #Cato2016 7 months ago
- RT @CatoInstitute: Not only are immigrants less likely to commit crimes than native-born Americans, but they help cut crime. https://t.co/1… 7 months ago
|Seth on Black Swans and Ron Paul|
|Ferd Berfle on The Wedge|
|Ferd Berfle on Obama’s got Style|
|Obama’s got St… on Obama’s got Style|
|Obama’s got St… on The Wedge|
- 9,714 hits